Heather Alkire's blog

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Injury for Christ

Okay, so my "injury" isn't that big of a deal. It's more of a joke really. We had a Bunco party tonight for all the church members and LST students. Brazilians love to play games, and they get quite competitive! I mean, seriously! I've never seen Bunco draw blood before tonight! When someone rolled a Bunco at my table, in the mad dash to grab the dice, my left thumbnail got bent backward, and so now it is a little tender with a nice dark purple spot right underneath the quick. Like I said, it's not a big deal, but I like to laugh about how intense the Brazilians are when they play games. However, I guess it's not that much different than the Big Purple game of Spoons (with Legos) that sent Carissa to the emergency room freshman year! :)

Anyway, this week has been very busy. I taught my second VBS session on Tuesday. It went well, even though I was completely exhausted when it was over! Please keep praying for this effort. I am hoping for more children to come in the following weeks so that this can really serve as an outreach and avenue of growth for the church.

This week I also began taking on LST (Let's Start Talking) readers. So far, I have only had one session, but I have four students lined up. Please pray for these studies and that I can have fruitful conversations in each one as we read through the book of Luke. My students' names are Arnon, George, Celeste and Alex.

Today I spent most of my day off at the Parkers' playing with the kids so that Keith and Stacey could get some things done on the house since they are moving back to the States on Tuesday. It's sad and I'm going to miss them (as are a lot of people here), but I know it's the right decision for their family. Please keep them in your prayers as they travel home and get resettled in Oklahoma.

We have a busy weekend in store. It's a holiday weekend here called Sao Joao, which is a harvest festival. We are celebrating by hosting an all night lock-in with the youth group tomorrow night. I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun, but probably also exhausting! Then, if we're not too tired, we're going to try to go downtown on Saturday night to take in the cultural experience of Sao Joao celebrations.

I promise to post some more pictures on here after this weekend. I'm also trying to figure out how to get the video of my VBS announcement in Portuguese posted on YouTube. When I do, I'll post a link here. If you'd like to look at more pics, you can see the photos I've posted on Facebook by following this link. http://acu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2037642&l=9b2dd&id=54605641. The other photo album is at this address. http://acu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2037320&l=b512d&id=54605641. Thank you again for all your prayers and encouragement! And please, take a minute to leave a comment and let me know about what's going on in your corner of the world! I love and miss you all!

4 Comments:

  • Bunco is used as a fellowship game even in Brazil?! That's almost as weird as finding out how common Dr. Pepper is in the UK. I'm not complaining, though. It even tastes like Dublin (which makes sense in an ironic sort of way, though Ireland is a little farther north) because no one outside the US uses high-fructose corn syrup for anything.

    Anyway, Brazilian Bunco sounds like Minter Lane intense COC nertz.

    Good to hear from you! I posted on my blog again today.

    P.S. Can you give me mom and dad's email addresses?

    By Blogger Joshua Alkire, at 6/22/2007 7:20 PM  

  • No I don't want anything specific with the hammock.

    Except that if you could find a nearly solid black one that would be great. Or else blue, white, green, or brown (in that order of preference.)

    And make sure it's not one of those "nets" where the strings dig into your skin and leave temporary tatoos that make you look like a red, walking chain link fence. Get closely woven fabric, kinda like what we have at home.

    Except try to get one that doesn't have all those loose threads and unnecessary decorative fringes.

    And make sure it's only big enough for one (or two if you know each other), not one of those gigantic ones that need sticks of wood for extra support and are impossible to hange in a place that exists naturally.

    Plus it would be nice if it wasn't obscenely expensive, though since I've been paying double for all my souveniers over here, you probably have a bit of margin till it will seem expensive to me.

    So, no specifics at all, just get what you can. :) In all honesty I don't expect you to find anything close to exactly what I described, but it is important that it is normal sized and not the net kind, if you can help it. Color is probably least important, so long as it's not anythng like purple, "rose", or peach.

    I found a really cool tee shirt for you in Salisbury today. Hope you are a medium.

    Joshua

    By Blogger Joshua Alkire, at 6/23/2007 5:15 PM  

  • Yeah, I'm planning to put them on facebook. The problem is that I have over 2000 pictures right now, but a lot of them are copies of the same thing from different angles, settings, mess ups, and such. It's going to be a big job to sort through them all an write the appropriate captions to some of them.

    By Blogger Joshua Alkire, at 6/25/2007 8:04 AM  

  • Hi Heather,
    Sorry to hear about your injury, but glad you were having fun when it happened. I haven't had a chance to read all of your blog yet. This is the first time I've had to post comments, but know you are in my prayers. I love the pics that you've sent.

    I pray that your VBS classes grow. I know you are touching young lives and hearts and you want to reach out to many more.

    Love you,
    ELisa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/26/2007 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home