Heather Alkire's blog

Thursday, June 14, 2007

VBS Week 1: Success

Here are a few pictures from my first day of VBS on Tuesday. My apologies for not putting them up sooner. Wednesdays are pretty busy with staff meetings and mentor time, but Thursdays are our day off, so we have more time to take care of administrative tasks like updating blogs!
Alicia (the team's children's minister) is introducing me and my lesson for the day.
This is me telling the story of the birth of Jesus.
Two of the girls, Joicy and Leticia work on their pinpoint luminaries.
Elvis and Gean work on their projects, with Kelton and Alicia in the background.
Joicy diligently working on her picture frame.
My first day of VBS on Tuesday was a success. We had nine kids total and strongly encouraged them to invite more friends next week. I told the story of the birth of Jesus (written with the help of my language teacher Lea, who is also studying elementary education like me!). The kids did two crafts: a pinpoint luminary to hang in their windows and remind them of how Jesus is the light and a picture frame that we will return to them next week with their photo inside. We also had a snack (classic VBS staple) and played games. I had a blast! I definitely feel "in my element" when I am teaching, and the kids here are so much fun! I love to see their faces light up, and I am so glad that God sent me here to share Jesus with them! Please continue to pray for me and my time here, for the kids at VBS, for the other Brazilians that I am meeting and for the missionaries I am working with. You have no idea how much your prayers and support mean to me! And while you're here, take a minute to leave a comment. I love to hear about what's going on at home too! I love you and miss you all!

4 Comments:

  • I LOVE THE PICTURES. GOD IS SO GOOD TO ALLOW YOU TO USE YOUR TALENTS TO TEACH HIS WORD. HEATHER YOUR A AWESOME WOMAN..HOPE TO SEE MORE PICT.......LOVE YA

    By Blogger dede, at 6/15/2007 11:07 AM  

  • We have internet again!!!!!

    Check my blog when you get a chance.

    These pictures sure look fun! I'm glad to hear that the Portugese is coming back, despite a few "hang ups".

    We'll be praying for you!

    Joshua

    P.S. I was reading this really fast, and when you started talking about the Lets Start Talking team, I read it as the "LUST" team. :)

    By Blogger Joshua Alkire, at 6/15/2007 5:08 PM  

  • Thanks for posting such sweet pictures... *HUGS*

    By Blogger Rosalinda, at 6/16/2007 2:19 PM  

  • Sounds like teaching is right where God wants you to be. Love the pictures. You girls stay safe and watch those bus numbers.
    Go with God! Patty :-)

    By Blogger Dwight's Mom, at 6/18/2007 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home