Heather Alkire's blog

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Language Blubbers....Every Rookie's Mistake

So today was our first church service with the Igreja de Cristo O Salvador. I enjoyed worshipping in Portuguese, and I followed the majority of the sermon and communion thoughts. After church, we went to lunch with some of the LST team to a churrascaria. It was delicious! Then I rode back to the church with Daniele, one of the girls from our small group that started yesterday. She and I carried on an entire conversation during the ride. I was so proud of myself!

We spent a couple of hours at the church building preparing materials for VBS. Several of the LST readers helped us out as they waited on their campaigners to finish up with other readers. I really liked talking with Francisco and his friend, and they were incredibly helpful in bending the coat hangers into paddles for us. So funny story about that. They asked me the English name for “hanger,” only I thought they were asking what my name was, so I told them Heather. Then later when they asked my name, I told them Heather, and they said, “No, what’s your name?” I said it again, and we finally realized the mistake. They jokingly held up some hangers and said, “I have three Heathers.” And “Nice to meet you, Hanger.” J

Oh yeah, my other funny language mistake of the day. I commented to Daniele and the others in the car with me on the way to lunch that the eyes (I meant waves “ondas” but said eyes “olhos”) were very big on the ocean today. LOL

So tomorrow is my first day of language class, and then we are heading to the beach!! On Tuesday, I have the kids for VBS for the first time. Please pray for that to go well. I definitely need to be covered as I lead VBS in a foreign language! Thanks again for your prayers and support, everyone!

3 Comments:

  • GOD WILL MAKE IT ALL OKAY. GOD BLESS YOU AND LAURA IN YOUR WORK AT VBS OR ANYOTHER GOD HAS INSTORE FOR YA.

    LOVE ME

    By Blogger dede, at 6/10/2007 8:49 PM  

  • That sounds like something I would do. As does calling them "hose-n-Heather paddles" from now on. :-P

    By Blogger Alex, at 6/12/2007 10:45 AM  

  • You're in my thoughts and prayers... I'm cleaning out closets in the schoolroom today, and thinking how much fun it will be to have you in the class with me this fall!
    :-D

    By Blogger Rosalinda, at 6/12/2007 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home